Doni suffering because he sells Soekarno poster

Doni (52) is one of the street vendors who had suffered a lot because of his goods. He doesn't sell any drugs or firegun which breaking the law, but only the pictures and posters of Soekarno, Indonesia first presiden.

He has been selling the picture and poster of Soekarno since 1975. He started selling it on the train. Unpredictably these pictures had brought him to the jail in 1977, 1979, and 1980. Up until now, he still doesn't know why the police arrested him.
"I had been in jail in 1977, 1979 and 1980. It was the era of Soeharto and they thought I was spreading Soekarno's doctrine. While in fact, the only thing I had was a picture. I told them, 'if you can prove it that I influenced people, you can arrest me" said him at his shop in Manggarai.

Doni wasn't just threatened but also got violence from polices. "I had been in jail in Kota, Blok M and Senen. I had been in Jatinegara prison for almost 2-3 weeks. They gave me punches and also stepped on me. Back then, either picture or poster of Soekarno was forbidden"
Time after time has passed  and Indonesia has changed but the suffering is still around, haunting him. He got threat of eviction.

There were three eviction notice until now, it said that he must get out from the state land. But it is strange because other street vendors don't get the same notice.

"They said this belongs to the state and they are going to build park. I will keep refuse that. SBY portrait has ever been downgranded by people, but why Soekarno? Soekarno was our proclamator. Why does a proclamator get eviction? Just try me," said him.

http://www.merdeka.com/peristiwa/doni-tak-tergiur-jual-foto-selain-bung-karno.html

Comments